Why is Search Engine Optimisation - SEO so important for your website ?
How do I pull visitors to my website?
People create websites for many reasons and goals: they want to share their passions, they are launching an online business, they’d like to boost their local business sales, they want to sell products or services (their own or through affiliate marketing)… The one thing that all websites need for success, income, or the personal satisfaction of the owners is traffic. The website works if there are users that land on it and enjoy its unique content. Traffic leads to sales, subscriptions, and income - that is to say: if you want to create a successful website or online business you need to start focusing on traffic.
Putting content online and waiting for users to flock and read and interact with it will only result in a waste of time. What you need to do is to work actively to attract visitors to your website. But how? There is more than one strategy to pull visitors to your website and, in this article, we are going to discuss the main and most effective ones. Keep on waiting to find out how to increase traffic on your website.
1. Search engine optimisation
As you may know, a great part of the visitors on your - and every - website come from research on search engines like Google. This is why search engine optimisation should be one of your main priorities.
The goal of SEO is to let your website appear on the first page of the search engine page result (SERP). Users don’t go over the first or second page of results when running a Google search, which means that if your website doesn’t read properly, users will never find out its existence and visitors will never come.
But what is Search engine optimisation? It’s the practice of improving the quality of your websites and webpages to obtain a better ranking on search engines. SEO goes through:
- Keyword research and optimisation: keywords are fundamental for SEO. However, proper keyword research can also help you through the creative process: you can understand the trending topic at every moment, the level of competition, and other details that can make your webpages, blog, or affiliate marketing website stand out from the competitors.
- Create unique content:Google penalises non-original content and reward quality. the quality of your content should always be your number one priority.
- Create a responsive website:people will leave your website if it’s slow, ugly, or malfunctioning. The above tips are referred to what experts call on-page optimization. However, you should focus on off-page optimization well.
2. Marketing campaigns
You can’t just put your content online and hope that visitors will come. You need to put some effort to attract them through marketing campaigns.
a. Search Engine Marketing
Search engine marketing is the practice of promoting your website through paid advertisements, like Pay per click (PPC) ads, that appear on SERPs. Google AdWords is one of the best known platforms to run your search engine marketing campaigns. With Google AdWords, you can pay to have your website (usually specifically built landing pages) show up at the top of the SERP for particular keyword research. This type of exposure is excellent to generate more traffic to your webpages. A particularly positive aspect of the Pay per Click (PPC) Google AdWords strategy is that you pay only when someone clicks on your ads. This way, you can make sure the money you’re investing in your marketing campaigns won't go wasted.
b. Email marketing
Emails are probably the most primitive example of digital communication but they are still the most effective way to contact and stay in touch with clients, subscribers, and users in general, and to pull visitors to your online platforms. Emails are a powerful tool and, unlike Pay per Click (PPC) campaigns, you can use it for free! If you think that email marketing as a way of sending links to your subscribers to obtain traffic, you’re underestimating it. With email marketing you can:
- Contact users and inform them about new content appearing on your website;
- Offer cross promotions and special offers to boost both your traffic and sales;
- Gather information about users so that you can segment your audience and make all your strategies more effective.
- When you write an email marketing campaign, avoid creating standard emails and send them to your full email list. Emails should be customised for the targeted audience and specific goals. This is how they help increase traffic on your website.
c. Social media marketing
If it’s true that a great part of the traffic to your webpages comes from Google research, social media can’t be underestimated. They can be considered as a free marketing tool: you can use them to share and promote your posts, special offers, or webpages and expose them to an audience made of millions of users. Social media marketing can be run for free, but there are also a lot of tools - like Facebook Ads - that you should learn to use to boost your social media posts visibility. In this case, monitoring your strategies and analysing how effective your campaigns have been in a specific period of time is crucial to avoid wasting your money on these platforms.
3. Focus on the quality of your content and website
Other than focusing on creating unique content, you should also pay attention to the technical quality of your website and webpages. You want to have a responsive website that is loaded quickly, it’s easy to interact with and W3C compliant. What does it mean? A W3C compliant website is a website whose HTML and CSS code is compliant to the standards set by the World Wide Web Consortium.
4. Tips for sellers
When you have an e-commerce, or an affiliate marketing business, promoting special offers through emails, social media and other platforms can help boost your traffic and sales. Cross promotion can be also very effective: it consists in promoting products to customers that have bought a related product. As you can see, there are many ways of pulling visitors to your website; they’re important for digital and local business as well. Ready to have some work done and start pulling more visitors to your website?